Constitution & Bylaws
Ikebana International Chapter 167 Constitution
ARTICLE I: Name
The name of this Chapter shall be Ikebana International, Sun Cities Chapter No. 167, a cultural, non-profit Chapter of Ikebana International with Headquarters in Tokyo, Japan.
ARTICLE II: Objective
The objective of this Chapter shall be to promote mutual understanding and friendship between countries through ikebana (the art of Japanese flower arrangement) and other related arts.
ARTICLE III: Membership
Membership shall be open to all persons whose objectives are in accordance with Article II.
ARTICLE IV: Dues
The yearly dues of this Chapter shall be based on the business year, July 1 through June 30. Each member shall pay annual dues as stated in the International Bylaws.
ARTICLE V: Government
The governing body of this Chapter shall be known as the Chapter Board, under the general management of the International Board of Directors, with the Chapter’s Directors and Chairpersons of Standing Committees responsible for local Chapter government.
ARTICLE VI: Meetings
The Annual General Meeting of this Chapter shall be held in March. Regular and special meetings shall be held as defined in the Chapter Bylaws.
ARTICLE VII: Amendments
The Constitution may be amended, provided those amendments have first been approved by the Chapter Board and then by the International Board of Directors. The proposed amendments shall then be mailed or emailed to the entire Chapter membership at least two weeks in advance of a regular Chapter meeting. Adoption of amendments shall be by two-thirds affirmative vote of Members present.
Ikebana International Chapter 167 Bylaws
ARTICLE I: Name
The name of this Chapter shall be Ikebana International, Sun Cities Chapter #167, a cultural, non-profit, Chapter of Ikebana International with Headquarters in Tokyo, Japan.
ARTICLE II: Objectives
Section 1: The objectives of this Chapter shall be to stimulate, cultivate and perpetuate the study of ikebana, and related arts and culture throughout the world.
Section 2: Further objectives of this Chapter shall be to strengthen relationships among masters, teachers and students of ikebana, and others interested in the ideals of Ikebana International through mutual cooperation with other Ikebana International Chapters.
Section 3: The motto shall be “Friendship Through Flowers.”
ARTICLE III: Membership
Section 1: Membership shall be open to all persons whose objectives are in accordance with Article II.
Section 2: Membership
1. Regular Members
- Regular members in
good standing are those whose International and Chapter dues have been paid to
the Chapter. Through this Chapter, which
shall be known as their Primary Chapter, they may exercise International and
Chapter voting privileges, and hold office.
- A Regular Member in good standing who relocates residence may transfer from one Primary Chapter to another new Primary Chapter upon presentation of a current Membership Card or receipt for the current year’s dues.
- Associate: A Regular Member of a Primary Chapter may join other Chapters by paying only the Chapter dues; such Members shall have Chapter voting privileges in those other Chapters, and may hold office in those Chapters.
2. Honorary Members
2.1 Honorary membership in the chapter may be extended by the Chapters to those individuals who have rendered outstanding service to the Chapter.
- Honorary membership in individual Chapters is based on criteria established by the Chapter.
2.3 International dues for this Chapter’s Honorary Members shall be paid by their sponsoring Chapter.
2.4 Honorary Members shall have, without payment of Chapter dues, all the privileges of Chapter Members.
ARTICLE IV: Business Year and Dues
Section 1: The business year shall run fromJuly 1 through June 30.
Section 2: Dues for each Regular Member shall be (a) equal to 6,000 yen for International dues, and (b) twenty-five US dollars per member for Sun Cities Chapter #167’s operating expenses. The total amount of dues required per Member shall be presented by the Treasurer to the Chapter Board for approval at the February Chapter Board Meeting at the latest.
Section 3: Regular Members who have a current Membership Card or receipt for current membership dues, and who relocate to another location shall be accepted as Members of their new Primary Chapter in good standing for the remainder of the year.
Section 4: Honorary Members shall be exempted automatically from payment of Chapter dues.
Section 5: Membership shall be terminated automatically if a Member’s annual dues have not been paid by July 1. Membership can be reinstated upon payment of current dues, and subsequent issues of publications will be sent; back issues of publications will be sent if available.
Section 6: Membership dues shall not be refunded for any reason including resignation, expulsion or death.
ARTICLE V: Government, Duties and Responsibilities
Section 1: The governing body of this Chapter shall be known as the Chapter Board, under the general management of the International Board of Directors, with Chapter’s Elected Directors and Chairpersons of Standing Committees responsible for Chapter government.
Section 2: The Chapter Board shall consist of the Elected Directors and the Standing Committee Chairpersons. Special Committee Chairpersons and Ikebana School Liaison Officers may attend Board Meetings by invitation but shall have no voting privileges.
Section 3: The immediate Past President may be a Member of the Chapter Board but shall have no voting privileges unless elected or appointed to a position with voting privileges.
Section 4: Duties of the Chapter Board
1. Exercise all power and authority over the affairs of the Chapter in the interim in between meetings of the Chapter.
2. Formulate Chapter policies and procedures.
3. Implement directives from International Headquarters in the most expeditious manner for the common good of Ikebana International and this Chapter.
4. Insure full compliance with local and national laws governing an organization such as Ikebana International.
5. Conduct all the business of the Chapter not specified as belonging to the Executive Directors or Committee Chairpersons.
6. Consider and act upon business referred to it by the membership, and report on such action at the following meeting.
Section 5: Duties of Elected Directors
- The President shall preside at all meetings of the Chapter and of the Chapter Board and shall be the official representative of this Chapter at meetings of cooperating and affiliated organizations. The President shall, with the approval of the Chapter Board, appoint Chairpersons of Standing and Special Committees and serve as an ex-officio member of all committees except the Nominating Committee. The President shall appoint the Parliamentarian.
2. The First Vice President, in the absence of the President, shall perform the duties of the President and shall succeed to the office of President should a vacancy occur. Additionally, the First Vice President shall serve as Program/Workshop Chairperson, obtain a gift and a past-President’s pin for the outgoing President and contact the Treasurer before each general meeting to arrange payment to those who demonstrate and/or conduct a workshop or present a program.
3. The Second Vice President, in the absence of the President and the First Vice President, shall perform the duties of the President. In addition, the Second Vice President shall serve as Membership Chairman and notify members whose dues are in arrears, create and publish the annual yearbook, and coordinate with the Treasurer to submit annual dues and the Membership Registration Form to Ikebana International in a timely manner.
4. The Recording Secretary shall keep an accurate record of all business transacted at all meetings of the Chapter and the Chapter Board and shall present the minutes for approval at the succeeding meeting.
5. The Corresponding Secretary shall conduct the general correspondence of the Chapter as directed by the President and the Chapter Board. The Corresponding Secretary shall complete Chapter Activity Report Form, and List of Elected Directors Form as required by International Headquarters.
6. The Treasurer shall:
6.1 Be custodian of the Chapter funds, receive all monies of this Chapter, keep accurate records of receipts and expenditures, and pay out funds for routine expenses and all other expenditures as authorized by the Chapter Board.
6.2 Be the chairperson of the Budget Committee.
6.3 Submit a monthly statement of current finances at each monthly Board Meeting.
6.4 Submit the Membership Registration Form with payment of annual dues to Ikebana International Headquartersprior to July 1.
6.5 At the close of the business year, submit books for audit by a qualified person approved by the Chapter Board.
- The Historian shall keep an album of all Chapter events.
- The Nominating Director shall act in accordance with the Bylaws, Article VII, Section 1, to nominate a slate of Elected Directors annually/biennially with the Chapter Board’s approval. The Nominating Director cannot serve in the same office for more than one term consecutively.
Section 6: Duties of Committees
1. Each Committee’s Chairperson shall be appointed by the Chapter President with approval of the ElectedBoard of Directors.
2. Standing Committees shall consist of Exhibition, Budget, Hospitality-Protocol, Public Relations, Ways and Means, Education, Workshop, and Nominations. They shall operate throughout the business year.
2.1 The Budget Committee shall be responsible for preparation of an annual budget for the Chapter.
2.2 The Exhibition Committee shall coordinate and implement all exhibitions.
2.3 The Hospitality-Protocol Committee shall be responsible for all hosting functions and for special courtesies to guests.
2.4 The Public Relations Committee shall be responsible for notification of meetings and exhibitions through the media including newspapers, bulletins, and television. The Committee shall endeavor to have an official press photographer present at regular meetings and to keep the public aware of the goals of Ikebana International. The Public Relations Chairperson shall send copies of all publicity items and photographs of programs or exhibitions to the Corresponding Secretary for submission to International Headquarters for permanent Chapter records. These shall accompany the Chapter Activity Report Form.
2.5 The Ways and Means Committee shall be responsible for all fund-raising projects in the name of the Chapter. All funds raised must be used in accordance with Article II.
2.6 The Education Committee shall schedule beginning lessons for new Chapter Members and other classes for Members as needed. In addition, the Committee shall develop, with approval of the Chapter Board, programs for demonstrating ikebana techniques before community organizations and in public forums.
2.7 The Workshop Committee shall conduct or arrange for qualified persons to conduct three (3) workshops each active year.
2.8 Duties of the Nominating Committee are set forth in Article VI.
3. Special Committees shall be created as needed with approval of the Chapter Board. The Chairpersons of such committees shall be appointed by the President. Chairpersons of Special Committees shall not have a vote on the Chapter Board.
ARTICLE VI: Election and Installation of Officers
Section 1: Nominations
1. The Nominating Committee
1.1The Nominating Director shall, with approval of the Chapter Board, appoint 2 or 4 Members to form the Nominating Committee.
- Nominating Committee Members shall not serve on this Committee for more than 2 consecutive years.
2.1 Candidates for office shall be nominated by the Nominating Committee with the approval of the Board of Directors.
2.2 The candidate for the office of President shall have served on the Chapter Board for a period of at least one business year.
2.3 Additional nominations may be made from the floor, provided the consent of the nominee has been secured.
3. Slate of Nominations
3.1 The Nominating Committee shall prepare a slate of one nominee for each office on the Board of Directors. The slate shall be presented at the March meeting of the Board of Directors.
3.2 After approval by the Board of Directors, the slate of nominees shall be submitted to the Chapter membership at the next general meeting.
Section 2: Election of Directors
1. Directors shall be elected for a term of one year at the Chapter Annual General Meeting in March and shall be installed at the April meeting and take office.
2. Voting shall be by written ballot unless there is a single slate, in which case declaration of election by acclamation shall be authorized. A vote by mail and/or email may be authorized when deemed necessary.
3. A candidate receiving a majority vote shall be deemed elected.
ARTICLE VII: Meetings and Quorum
Section 1: Program Meetings
The Chapter shall hold a minimum of 7 program meetings annually.
Section 2: Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- The Annual General Meeting shall be held in March.
- Power of the Annual General
- Presentation of budget,
- Presentation of business report and settlement of accounts,
- Election, and
- Other important matters.
3. Minutes of the Annual General Meeting
3.1 The Minutes of the Annual General Meeting shall be recorded in English.
3.2 The Minutes shall be approved by the Board of Directors, shall contain at least the following matters and shall be signed and/or sealed by the President and the Recording Secretary.
3.3 Contents of Minutes
3.3.1 Objective matters, including the date and place of the meeting.
3.3.2 Total membership of the Chapter and the number of Members present.
3.3.3 The substance of the proceedings of the meeting and any results thereof.
Section 3: Meetings of the Board of Directors
- Regular meetings of the Board of Directors shall be convened at least eight (8) times per year by the President. Other Board Meetings of the Chapter shall be convened by the President upon the request of not fewer than three directors.
- In case of matters requiring immediate attention, when an Extraordinary Board Meeting cannot be convened immediately, the President shall take action upon consultation with the Elected Directors. A report pertaining to those urgent matters discussed and action taken shall be presented for approval to the next regularly scheduled Board of Directors meeting.
Section 4: Quorum
A quorum at any regular meeting shall consist of the regular membership present.
ARTICLE VIII: Amendments
These Bylaws may be amended at a regular meeting by a two-thirds affirmative vote of those voting members present, provided that the proposed amendments have been approved by the Chapter Board and the International Board of Directors, and that copies of amendments have been mailed and/or e-mailed to Chapter Members at least two weeks prior to the meeting.
ARTICLE IX: Disposition of Funds
Upon dissolution of the Chapter, after all outstanding debts have been paid, the remaining funds shall be donated to any worthy cultural, educational, or artistic cause, as determined by the majority vote of the Chapter Board, provided that this does not conflict with any existing local and/or national government law.
ARTICLE X: Authority
The most recent edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern this Chapter in all applicable cases.